Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Movin' on Up.

Aw, the time has come. I'm not really sure I was ready for this big step to occur. But apparently it doesn't matter what I'm ready for, it matters what Ethan is ready for. I still consider Ethan as a baby, he isn't even 2 years old yet. Dare I say it....he's a Toddler.

I shouldn't be surprised really. He first rolled over at 2 1/2 months (no joke)! He has been climbing out of his crib ever since he was about 15 months old. He has been climbing on everything, in and out of everything. No wonder he likes bananas, he's a monkey. He has been on the move from such a young age. He is determined to do what he wants and will let no one get in his way. As this is, indeed a good trait to have as a grown-up, I was certainly not ready for it. Are we ever ready for the next phase of our growing child's life?!

I learned a few weeks ago that I wasn't alone in this matter. My friend, Robin has a little boy who just turned two. She and her husband didn't want to at first but decided (because of the climbing out) to change her son's bed into a Toddler bed at the tender age of 18-19 months. Yikes! She encouraged me to just do it (cause Ethan was obviously ready) but to stand firm with it, even if it's not the easiest for you. It feels so great to talk to other mother's-the encouragement really inspired and helped me-thanks, Robin! =) And thank you to all who have shared some wisdom and expertise when it comes to being a MOM.

So, on Friday, after J got home from work, we changed his convertible crib into a toddler bed. We made it a pretty big deal, cause let's face it, it is! It may not have been for him, but is sure was for J and I. He ran right to his bed and loved that he could get up into by himself. I loved the fact that I didn't have to lift him into bed. As I get bigger, he is going to get bigger. I was also stoked to be starting this before J leaves for the sandbox. I already have to potty train a boy by myself, I didn't want to do this too. That will be another interesting topic when the time comes =P

We've had quite the success with his new bed. I was really surprised. Nights are easy and wonderful. Nap time can be tough-as Robin reminded me-you've got to stand firm. Which means for us to keep going in to lay him down if he gets up (cause let's face it, they all do!) and being on top of it. I've been tempted to even pop the pacifier in to calm him down for nap time. I have to remember (and remind myself everyday!) that it's not what's easiest for me, it's what's best for Ethan. Oh, and there are definitely times where I'm easiest on me. I'm totally bragging and going to jinx myself on this, but he took a 3 hour nap yesterday. He hasn't done that since he was an infant, if that. The option of whether to get out or not is his, which he did anyway before. I think he knows that this is a big change and that he is getting bigger. So far, he likes it.....and so do we.

As for the pacifier and bottle, we are getting rid of those too. He is doing quite well without them =) Ethan's baby years are in the rearview mirror. I can't believe it.


Ethan helping with the changing of his bed.


Ethan hardly helping with the changing of his bed =P


He is ready to rock and roll. Eh, I mean rock a bye, baby!


Good night, sweet one. Happy 2o month Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Cute, Cute, Cute!! Great photos of big boy Ethan, his Daddy, and the new bed! Ethan, Happy 20 month Birthday!!! Love!
    Papa and Drandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not personally know you, but am a friend of Liz Purcell Carlsons. I'm sorry for your many personal losses. Books are not always helpful, but one that has helped me process experiencing loss & the grieving process is "When Life is Changed Forever: By the Loss of Someone Near" by Rick Taylor. I personally know him. Here is a link to it on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0890819718/cyberhaven00/

    ReplyDelete